View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2017, 08:33 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lowering a gmc 4000

That red with a white cab was a really popular color scheme. I have a picture of a brand new '64 C-60 Chevy with 327 truck engine & 4+2 trans with a 20 ft livestock rack on it! That truck had cast Dayton wheels. Guy my Dad drove for brought it out to our farm for Dad to weld up a hitch to pull a loading chute. I road with the owner when it was just a cab& chassis about 100-120 miles from the selling dealer home. Talk about a rough ride! Hit much of a bump or pothole and there would be a foot of daylight under the rear wheels.

I assume you want to lower both ends of your truck, frt & back. I would find a local spring shop in the yellow pages of the largest local town's yellow pages and talk to them about reverse arched springs. Or they may know of spring mounts that can lower your truck. Five inches isn't that much on a medium duty truck. Look for automotive springs, truck repair, or truck body shops.

A smaller tire like a 17-1/2" rim diameter would help lower it more, but I think a 19-1/2" would be all the smaller you could go due to brake drum diameter. There was some method to the madness of the 5, and 6 bolt wheels on the Budd wheels, at least on IH trucks. Seems different weight rated axles got 5 or 6 bolt wheels. Now days everything gets 8 bolt wheels till it's big enough to get ten bolt wheels! Any smaller wheel than your 20" rim diameter with your truck's bolt pattern would be a real "Special". I always hated that word " special", it translates into expensive

Looks like your floor of your box needs some work. It doesn't cast much of a shadow.

Just because I'm nosey, why do you want to lower this truck? I was looking to up-size my F-250 into an IH low profile 4200 or 4300, my local dealer got two in for a local lawn service company, they were too tall for my 7-1/2 ft tall shop door. Killed that idea quick! I wanted a DT-466 powered truck, at least a 7-speed trans, wet kit, onboard air, big receiver hitch, and a 5th wheel, and maybe a hoist under the 9-10 ft bed.