Thread: 3 on the tree
View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:10 PM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 on the tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R Leifheit View Post
*If* I ever get to work on my '62 1000 this will probably be the transmission, or I'll see if the overdrive will bolt onto a GM transmission. I think the difference is the mounting from the case to the bell, and probably the splines.
That's a pretty good transmission you have there. It's a T-85 or T-89. You can tell which one if you take off the side cover. T-89 has straight cut L&R gears. T-85 is helical.

BOP bellhousings were made with the Ford bolt pattern in the 60s, but never Chevy or GMC. You MIGHT be able to bolt that trans to a GMC bellhousing with an adaptor plate, but I'm not sure if the input shaft is long enough to allow for the plate thickness. Longer input shafts were made for AMC, Stude and Willys/Jeep applications, and those will usually swap. but they won't be easy to find. GM input shafts are about the same length as Ford.

The O/D unit and midplate might bolt onto a GM case if you drill a hole for the reverse lockout rod. GM pattern T-85/T-89 cases are pretty scarce though.

If it were mine, I would get it apart now just to just to halt any further rust progression. That thing is too valuable to lose.

Ray