View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2014, 09:42 PM

Truck: 1965 930 & 1965 K20 & 65 C10 combining into one truck.
quest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blown head gasket vs. cracked block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
The more I drive it, I'm not as convinced that it's burning much coolant after all. But I have to top off the oil 2-3 times between fill ups. The white bumper next the tailpipe is now black. There does appear to be some oil leaking from the valve cover, but not enough to explain the extent of the oil loss. I don't see oil underneath, but it is parked on gravel. The compression test put the cylinders in the 120 +/- 10 PSI range for all 6 cylinders. So, my hope is that the problem is in the head. There is a real chance that dropping a couple hundred bucks to get the head rebuilt is a gamble.
I've seen a number of 305's around, but they all look like they might need to have lots of work done (new rings, head) to them like this one does. I hope to get after it this weekend... fingers crossed!
I should also mention that a complete gasket set will come with valve seals that are easy to install. You can usually purchase a basic valve spring clamp fairly cheap or rent one at the local tool rental shop. You don't need to remove the valves, just compress the spring to unlock it, remove it to insert the new seal over the valve stem and then re-seat the spring, then go to the next one. Have a look on YouTube for some examples of this.

Oh and as for the blackened rear bumper this can also come from needing a good tune up and possibly a new carb or carb rebuild. Just be sure your carb is in good working order as well as the complete ignition system when it is running again.

I have been trying to decide between the engine options for my 65 4x4. Right now it has 305. I also have a 292, a 327, a 6.2 diesel and i am really leaning towards the 6.2 diesel as I really love those engines.