View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2017, 10:12 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Which came first, the carb or the distributor?

First of all according to our pages a 230 came out in 64 and the 250 came out in 66. So you must have a motor swap. These questions should maybe be in "Inline" forum.

Get new POINTS!, plugs, wire, rotor and cap as suggested. Set points to .016-.019. Be sure you are in that range. Turn the distributor while engine is running until pulley mark is in correct setting on pointer. Somewhere near 4BTDC or where it runs best. Use a timing light with it reading no. 1 plug. If it runs and not backfiring it's not that far off. Do that and report. I don't like throwing a bunch of parts at it, but these ignition parts are cheap and it gives a good baseline to continue.

You have a stationary timing tab with lines/marks and you have a rotating pulley with one mark. Get the pulley mark to 4-8 BTDC on the timing tab/plate fastened to the front of the motor by turning the Dizzy while motor is running on a timing light.
Vacuum advance hose off of the can and plugged.
A (Advance) on tab means "before", as in 4-8 degrees BTDC B efore T op D ead C enter. The zero is TDC, each mark is 2 deg.
A helper is very nice to have.

Don't start changing too much yet until you have the new tune up parts installed and the timing is per specs. Don't be jumping to conclusions like accel pump and all that. It can be fuel delivery/carb or it can be lots of other things. Which brings up...what is the exact complaint? "Tricky" start? Whatever that means. Rough idle? Won't accelerate out on the road? Give us the exact problem your having and we will tell you what simple test to do.

The baseline tune up will tell a lot.
If the float is right and the bowl stays full, you will get a squirt for starting, if choke is 90% closed in the morning, it will start. If not, you will have to crank to get some fuel in the carb so you can squirt one or two shots.

I keep thinking of things and may repeat, sorry. Also, I do not know your knowledge or experience, so if you know all this, ignore my post. Someone will use it someday. There are I-6 Gurus here who will add or correct me if I am wrong on the setup.

Last edited by AZKen; July 6th, 2017 at 12:12 AM.