View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2016, 11:26 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Re: 1960/1961 Suspension VS later years

I've got a 61 1500 series step-side with a nice long tray on it. As far as general handling goes, despite the lack of power steering and power brakes (I'm still running on 4 drums as well) I really can't complain. The old man corners much better than I would've thought. Admittedly, if I'm in a situation where I've got to go full lock on the steering wheel (like a the end of a cul-de-sac for example) you can tell he doesn't like it all that much. Obviously parking lots with their modern day postage stamp sized spaces pose an issue from time to time. But again, you sort-of know going into it that you're not going to get the handling of a modern vehicle. I think that's part of the charm.

I have found it to be a bit light in the rear though. So I tend to drive accordingly when it comes to driving over manhole covers and what not. Having said that, I'm not carrying any weight. So I reckon it wouldn't be as much of an issue if he did a bit more work.

The 'floaty' description that someone gave is pretty apt for mine as well. Not so much over bumps and such (because of the empty tray) but more so in that once I start approaching highway speed everything lightens up a bit. Not in a dangerous way. Just enough to remind you to pay attention to what's going on.

Sorry for the long-winded answer. I do tend to go on a bit LOL

Last edited by Jmclendon; December 15th, 2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Fat fingers. I'll never be a pianist.