View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2017, 04:50 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Impact of low dwell

I remember back in the 1960's & early '70's every auto parts store had a wall of pegboard or revolving parts tree with those distributor tools hanging on them along with GM door window crank removing tools and other special tools on them. That was before 3-4 companies owned the franchize to every parts store in town.

The change from 25 to 33 degrees should make it run much better.

Delco-Remy made a style of points and condensor that were attached, called "Unipoints" that I always used, still had the hex screw to fine tune dwell. Then came the inevitable, I got a Borg-Warner tune-up kit, Power Brute points & separate condensor, and I looked for most of a day for the screw that held down the condensor!

I read a funny joke in Hot Rod Magazine about 1967 about adjusting dwell on a GM. Had to do with the window in the distributor cap and the distributor mounted way back behind the carb & air filter. Punch line had something to do with You can tell Ford mechanics that work on small blocks with front mounted distributors, they have a smile on their face. Can't remember the specifics of the joke, was 50 years ago. Last vehicle I had that even had a distributor was an 87 F-150.