View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:49 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: trouble shooting turn signal switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas63GMC View Post
I have a 63 and have rewired everything from the cab back, engine compartment and headlights. Most of it is new wire, solid grounds, new bulbs. Headlights, brake lights are working.. I reused the cab wiring after taking it apart, checking for obvious breaks, bad insulation, etc.
BUT, the turn signal is making me crazy. I have read Jolly's web site info. Gone over the wiring diagram, etc.
the LEFT turn signals work, back and front. The turn signal indicator in the dash functions.
However the right turn doesn't work. The bulbs barely flicker. The dash indicator doesn't function. The switch and wiring heat up quickly, to the point of smoking, unless I turn off the ignition.
I have tried several turn signal switches even new ones. (they are for 63 Chevys) the results are the same.
How do I trouble shoot this thing? and please no one say I just need to make 3 left hand turns to go right.........

Greetings Texas!

This doesn't sound to me like a bad connection. Heating and smoking of the wire(s) and/or directional switch (especially the new ones) indicates to me that you have an electrical short circuit somewhere. Check to be sure that you don't have a wire with bad or cracked insulation (that you may have missed) somewhere that is allowing a live electrical circuit to come into contact with a metal ground. I would thoroughly check the steering column, since that is a place where wires can become pinched, potentially breaking the insulation and causing a short circuit. None the less, double check everything. Better to be safe than sorry!