Thread: 305 confusion
View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2016, 04:45 AM

Truck: 1962 2503 1 ton dually
62 Addict is on a distinguished road
Default 305 confusion

Please forgive me for asking, but I need some clarity. I did some searching & found some this series vs that series threads. None really said it all that I could find. This is mainly concerning light trucks. It looks like they came with A,D,&E 305's for different years. So, all the same block? Most parts should interchange? Like water pump, intake, heads, etc? I believe timing chain changed in about '69 due to cam journal?
Many people like me are getting these V6's and are confused when the different series are talked about like they are completely different engines. The huge weight differences on the V6 data page makes you wonder. Then you see they have pretty much the same specs.
I've been working on my own junk for 30 years: Chevy, GMC, Dodge, International, Studebaker, Olds, Pontiac, Ford & some foreign so I'm not a complete idiot. Not a genius, either. I've just never had a big V6. So all you V6 guys, could you help some new people out with some overall info? I got asked if a 305D & E took the same water pump. I could only guess. I don't have room for 10 GMC's to do research. I already have four trucks. The answer would make a good sticky. Maybe not the question.
Thanks,
Scott