Thread: My '65 GMC
View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2016, 07:15 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My '65 GMC

Quote:
I just acquired a 1965 GMC truck. I am looking forward to building her up into a nice driver. She is a very solid Oklahoma truck. It is a camper special with 8 lug wheels. I am planing on installing disc brakes on the front, power steering and a hydro-boost brake booster. She is going to have a 350 Chevy V8 and either a NV3500 or a 700R-4 transmission. The truck has an early air conditioning system. I am not sure if I will repair that or install a new Vintage Air unit. I also want to add cruise control.

I have an awful lot of work ahead of me and I am hoping I can find some good advise on this forum.

Mike

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Ohhhhh, you just said something blasphemous to us GMC Truck enthusiasts!! A Chevy 350 V-8 in place of the Big Block V-6?? Of course, it is your truck, and you are entitled to do whatever you wish with it, however, replacing the original GMC V-6 with a small block Chevy engine ruins the collectible value of the truck. What are your plans for the Big Block V-6 once you have it out of the truck?? I would stongly suggest if you go through with your swap to the 350 Chevy engine that you sell the Big Block V-6 to someone in our club who will save the engine from an unearned trip to the scrap yard. These wonderul engines are becoming rare, and all that can be done should be done to preserve those that are left. Anyway, best wishes on your plans for your truck, whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by George Bongert; December 1st, 2016 at 07:32 AM.