View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2017, 09:08 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Replacement 305 for a 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdylan View Post
I would think that a knock that went away after it warmed up, could not be to serious. If it was a rod bearing I think it would get worse. How is your oil pressure? You will see a drop in pressure if you have a bad bearing. Have you checked compression? I would not pull to investigate until I knew what was going on.
I wouldn't take the chance (now).
I had a small knock. Didn't sound too bad so I let it go. Besides, I had been told the engine had been "rebuilt" fairly recently. The knock got a little louder over time, but never had a power issue and didn't seem to affect the vehicle at all. One day, at 55mph, the knock quit. So did the engine. The rod cap had finally fallen off and the connecting rod no longer was "U" shaped where it went around the crankshaft, it was almost a "T" shape. And the valves/inside of the head was embossed on the top of the piston. Never did get that one out of the engine before scrapping it (wish I hadn't, the block was still good).
A small tapping can be -anything- so if you have the opportunity to go through the engine to find it, do so. Even if that noise is the sole "excuse" for getting another one and learning about these engines.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500