View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2016, 04:29 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Link to my video showing shifting without a clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubarlow View Post
I was basically told by someone that it is not possible to shift a manual transmission without using a clutch. I had told this person about the time I went to buy a '57 Chevy Panel Truck, and the clutch blew out 5 minutes after I paid for the truck. I drove it all the way from Denver to Longmont, CO without using the clutch. I was told it could not be done. I just used the '63 to prove it COULD. Here is the youtube link: https://youtu.be/sZ59lEP_r_8
Depends on the transmission. The stock 3-speed could be upshifted without a clutch, and down from 3 to 2... but downshifting into first isn't advisable without the clutch... no synchros so it -will- grind unless it is really worn. Although I found that even using the clutch into first wasn't always a doable proposition. Usually easier on the transmission to come to a halt first with that one. Which is why I retired so many of my 3-speeds as early as possible.

Thinking about that... I sold the '66 that had a 3-speed, the linkage was still good, nice and tight. Sadly the 3-speeds died in that truck and the kid had to cut the floor out for a 4-speed (toploader). Stupid pan over the transmission wasn't removable in that one. A one-piece stamped floor. All he had to do though was cut on the lines and then one of the tall floor plates sat in there like it was meant to be.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500