View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:45 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1/2 Ton
Vern is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blown head gasket vs. cracked block

Budget is definitely an issue, particularly considering how much needs to be fixed on the truck! Everything from a blown dome light to a temperamental fuel gauge to the "Chevrolet" emblem on the grill of a "GMC".

The other consideration is, given that the engine isn't original, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to get another one. I have no clue how many miles are on it; the guy I bought from didn't seem to know very much. From the insurance slips in the glove box, it was only driven about 1000 miles over a 10 yr period (the tags expired in 2001). Even if I took a year or more to rebuild it as good as new. I saw an ad for a 305 with a 5-speed tranny 45 min away. It might be kinda fun to get a small block V8? So, I'm hoping that fixing the top will help minimize the oil loss so at least I can drive it a while.

Much appreciated for all the help folks. I'll definitely make sure the head is looked over closely. I don't have the engine apart yet, but hope to start on it this weekend. Patience with such a rookie!