View Single Post
Old August 6th, 2013, 05:01 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Newer Oils in Older Engines

About oils for now Im running 10w40 with STP zinc additive. Rotella is probably what Id go with if it were less expensive but wow oil is crazy high now. Thanks Obama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenajim View Post
"Fetch Me" another question for you, what are your thoughts on Aluminum 2 Row crossflow radiators for these 305s?? Remember, I live in Phx AZ and in the summertime it is HOT out here so I gotta keep this thing as cool as possible.
I havent got to my exhaust yet. Its still two stock rams horns bolted to a piece of stock broken off pipe under the cab. Smells like crap when you start her, but I've almost decided I don't want to bend any pipe till I got the motor out and worked on then back in again.
Right now my plan is to take off the rams horns, sandblast them and coat them with Calyx manifold dressing. Then Ill reinstall them using manifold gaskets coated with red RTV silicone for a better seal like they do racing engines.
Then ill run 2 1/2 inch aluminum pipe with a crossover and dual mufflers as quiet as I can get them.

The way i see it the aluminum will be lighter and last longer without rusting. The expansion of aluminum bolted to iron might be a problem but I think they put adapter gaskets on for the expansion so it shouldnt be too bad. Someone else might weigh in on it.

btw
Shell Rotella has 1400 PPM of Zinc, Valvoline Racing Oil is 1700 PPM, and Chevron Delo all meet the minimum for use with Flat Tappet Cams, and are a cheap alternative for breaking in a motor. Red Line also has a ZDDP addititvie that runs about 12.00 and treats 12 quarts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.