View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2015, 09:09 PM

Truck: 1966 1000 Custom
Onuma is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC "crustine" semi-build.

Quote:
I don't think we have to worry about the salt during the winter though...they just put down a bunch of sand.
The DC area was absolutely awful last year. Not only did they exhaust their supply of salt (literally, they ran out before the winter was over), but they have been using a surface pre-treatment solution on the roadways which is supposed to help melt ice & snow and prevent it from sticking. That stuff, it seems, does even more damage than salt -- or at least when combined with the salt makes a super-rusty cocktail which speeds up the corrosion process.

My '04 Ford Exploder had a rusty panel over the right rear wheel, but after this winter it switched from surface rust to full-blown rot

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Lame! Part of that is Ford's fault in engineering & poorly preparing the inner and outer surfaces, but part is my father's fault for trying to repair the rust half-assedly. He didn't seal it all as well as he should have, which caused even more crap to get in and corrode things. I will literally need the back quarter of the truck replaced to keep things from getting too bad in the long run...it's a good thing I can cut, weld, grind, sand, prep & paint!