View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2016, 07:57 PM

Truck: 1963 GMC Fenderside
John Mann is on a distinguished road
Default Re: '63 Fenderside in Colorado

Okay everyone, I have been piddling around with this '63 long enough. I have it disassembled down to the frame, without a really solid plan for rebuild. But enough wandering around aimlessly. Here's the plan; would appreciate opinions and advice.

It's a great piece of American history. I want to put it back together so that, hopefully, it will be around for the next 25+ years. I also want to do as much of the work myself that I can. But I'm in my 60s, and I want to drive it before, well, you know.....

So I want it finished by the end of 2018.

To that end, I see three phases. First, rebuild it mechanically--clean, paint, etc. Second, bodywork, most of which is way beyond my ability. So I'm going to rebuild for a while, until it's time to bail on that and hire it out.

As far as rebuilding it mechanically, I don't want to make a Christmas tree of it, but I would like to make is so that when someone who has never turned a wrench looks at the frame and mechanicals, way off in the future, (s)he can see the different parts/pieces. So I'm thinking of painting the frame black, but using a contrasting color on stuff that bolts onto it: front axle, A-arms, etc. Has anyone ever seen that sort of thing done? Again, not to overdo it, but want people to see how the GMC was really built "back in the day". It's the history piece for future generations that is important to me.

I think it good to do a few safety upgrades (move the fuel tank to under the frame, disc brakes on the front) while preserving as much of the original as possible (leave drum brakes on the rear). Of course, leave the 305 and SM420 in it; it seems lots of folks on this site like the Holly 500cfm upgrade. Maybe change the gearing in the rear end, or does that change the truck too much? Could really use some opinions and advice on balancing original equipment/design with really long term safety and drivability.

Okay, thats enough. Thanks in advance for anyone's feedback and advice.

John