View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2018, 01:49 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yikes!!! 305E V6 knocking like crazy!

MASSEY478 - A 478 V-6 would make a great tractor engine. I always thought a 305 or 351 in a Farmall M would be a great combination. I grew up on a Midwest grain & livestock farm. Not near enough acres to feed the 500 to 800 head of market hogs every year. All the corn was picked on the ear and ground for cattle feed for the 35-40 head of beef cattle every year and we made three cuttings of alfalfa hay on 20 acres and farrowed the hogs on another 20 acres of alfalfa. Dad wasn't big on farming late into the night and most tractors didn't have working lights, 10-12 hour days was enough but one spring so we could finish plowing we worked till about 10 PM moving hog houses from last years hog pasture to the new one. Farmall H had none too much power for that task, from idling around half throttle no load and cold all winter it was burning up and loosening lots of carbon in the cylinders. At full load those glowing carbon chunks would go 15-20 feet in the air and then fall to the ground, finally stopping glowing just before they hit the ground.

All engines do it, just tractors with vertical exhausts/mufflers just a couple feet ahead of your face make it easy to see.

A guy on the Red Power Magazine forum is putting a 305 V-6 in an M. Been working on it over a year. I hope he posts pictures soon.