View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:26 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dana 60 Hub Nut Size & Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I need to check the torque on the spindle nuts on the rear hubs. I have a 60 rear. What size is the socket? Its not 2 9/16 like everything else I've ever owned! Its smaller. Also what is the torque for inner and outer nut? Thanks!
Hi Larry, I have a Dana 60 in a '72 GMC. I have never bought a socket. This method may be too crude for folks here, but I have been driving and working on this truck since 1979 and it is still doing fine.

I use a cold chisel to knock the jam nut loose. The inner nut should back off without much persuasion maybe even with your fingers. When adjusting the play with the inner nut I do it the same way as a front wheel bearing. Tighten it up until the hub has drag on it then back it off 'till there is just a little play in the hub. Not visible movement really, but you can feel a little play.

There should be a keyed washer with bend tabs between the 2 nuts that secures the outer lock nut. Just give the outer nut a whack with the chisel in the tighten direction and bend a couple tabs to the flats of the nut.

I can't tell you if your Dana is like mine but since you got no replies I figured I'd share my low-tech method!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday