View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2024, 12:43 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
vwgreg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for information

Just a quick reply. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate the advice.

This morning, I saw what was advertised as a 1968 GMC, which turned out to be a 1972 Chevy.

It is rougher than I thought it would be, it needs body work and some parts (door cards and one door handle).

However, it does have a 305 V6 (thanks Prowbar), not a 351 V6 as claimed. I know that's not the original engine, that was a 350 v8 with a hydromatic behind it according to the options list.

I did not find a GVW tag anywhere on the truck, the Vin confirmed it is a Chevy C30 and the options indicate that it is at least a 6600lb GVW, which will work for me.

I don't think the owner knows what it really is or how to figure it out, so I will tell him when I talk to him Monday about what I know to be fair.

As for the condition of the engine, I think it is frozen, I tried with a breaker bar and socket to move it but it didn't move, messed up my back trying. the sparkplugs are out of the head but it is complete. I was very surprised at how big it looked by the way. I know near here there is another 305 engine out of the truck which the owner claims it runs but I don't know if I should bother with it or not, I will make an offer for it if the 66 doesn't look better.

I would post pictures of the truck but not until I talk to the owner to be fair.