Thread: Tailgate Color?
View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2015, 01:19 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tailgate Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccollector View Post
Steve , did you ever get this gate ? Curious on the color ?
I did get the gate but it does have the silver paint like Pete said they all came with, so I am siding with Pete that this is correct unless someone can de-bunk this as a hard fact. I challenged this as being a hard fact only because the seller said this gate was NOS / pull off w/ white lettering but he was wrong so at this point I have no evidence to suggest that White lettering was ever used except in re-painted gates just like Pete said in the beginning. I was contacted by several members of this group all saying they had seen multiple gates painted with white lettering over the years, as had I, but none of us could produce a guaranteed not-repainted / pull off or original factory photo of one, so until someone does I believe Silver was indeed the only color used. I do still wonder if 58-59 widesides or even 60-61 trucks could have had white lettering on standard models maybe, but there is too little information or stock photos out there on these years and the 1958 and 1960 GMC's wideside bed trucks I own both have been repainted so I can't tell from either of them.

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)