View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2016, 03:26 PM

Truck: looking to buy a 62 GMC 4000
IronGutsSpeedShop is on a distinguished road
Default Hi, I'm new! Questions about GMC 4000

Hey everyone, new to this site and new to big trucks as well.

I had been casually looking for an early 80's topkick but i thought they seemed expensive for what they were and decided to hold off on the idea for a while.

I was rewarded for my patience with finding an old farm with a couple rusted out junkers and also what looks like a 60-63 GMC 4000 that is certainly weather beaten but the interior looks ok and it just caught my eye.

Of course, I have to have it haha. So i get a price and it was good, but i can't get it quite yet because:

1. It is huge
2. I need to rent or borrow a tractor trailer to tow it home (I think?)
3. I don't have room at my house so i have to store it close by at a lot for a small fee.

Not extraordinarily large hurdles, just speed bumps. I will definitely be picking it up. I think about it all day haha.

I had some questions, it has been parked for at least 20-25 years, do you think that the hubs will turn if there were aired up tires?

It seems like it either has a 351 or 305, but i didnt check closely because the sun was setting. Do you folks get most of them to be able to run after doing the usual fixings?

What sort of mpg do people get in these with the V6? i know MPG and 1963 and Huge Truck aren't synonymous, but I'm just curious.

thanks a lot for any help that you can give! I'm sure I will have a bunch more questions. and great site!