View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:28 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: One Ton Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
The 351C has had nothing but high-zinc Amsoil 10W40 in it since about 1973. Amsoil gear lube in the trans, Watson, and rear end too. I had to add a quart after 1200 miles on the road. 600 miles later, after I got home, it's now down a half quart. I didn't think that rate of consumption was too bad for having 154,000 miles on it.

Here are a couple of engine photos. Note the chrome plated air cleaner and valve covers. They were on a demonstrator at the dealer. At the end of the model year one of the salesmen gave them to Dad -- no charge! I've got the originals too, along with other miscellaneous parts like two original hubcaps.
So, as a Suburban lover, this truck is like the holy grail its so cool and has such great history, but I have to question the chrome valve covers and oil bath because if they were on a demonstrator truck which was a new vehicle on the lot for sale at the time, then it would seem there would have to be evidence of other chrome sets somewhere else in the truck world if they were available in chrome plate finish as a GM manufactured part vs something the dealer sent out and had plated - so if no one has ever seen a set or knows anyone who has ever seen another set aside from these then does it stand to reason this was a strange one-off plating job by the dealer?

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)