View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2017, 11:24 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Manual to Automatic

Well if you are thinking out of the box, I will go there with you. Your truck came in small hump floor and large hump floor. Automatics have small hump. If the center hump is an issue for you, you can patch in a small hump or any sheet metal you want if you use an automatic trans. You can cut the whole hump out all the way to firewall. Install trans and build a new floor around it if that helps.
When I said modify brake pedal I meant shortening or lengthening the arm to make it closer to the floor. Your idea to bump stop it may work also. Just use same bumper and/or any rubber/metal spacers to experiment and get it where you want. The brake pedal arm can be any shape, bent towards the left and back or whatever. Just so it still pushes the rod......or.....

Eliminate the brake pedal/arm and move accelerator pedal left. Modify the movement of the clutch pedal to operate the brake rod. I do see how to do that.

Some of these steps need to take place:
Take out the unused pedal, take out tank, reposition seat and see where you are at. Unbolt and move the seat rearward to mock this up.

The flared out sheet metal under the rear window can be modified. Keep the ends of the flare attached to cab wall as a gusset. (Don't cut them out) The cab wall is already dimpled for strength and partial removal of the "sill flare" should not cause any loss of structural integrity. The issue would be if the bulkhead just below the window would "oil can", it would pop the glass out. A channel or angle piece could be added across and be much thinner than the present flare. I think the flare shape is mostly to blend out to the tank and act as a "cosmetic return" for the seat back.
Have someone else with a mechanical engineering background look at it first. I have one and that's my take on it.

I guess it MAY be possible to add a deep footwell/firewall bump-out on drivers side. (don't quote me on that one!)

When you add a new tilt column, you can mount it at any angle and with any stick out that benefits you. These things need to be mocked up and tried together before final attachments. Try to think of a way to get rid of the knee knocker Ebrake lever.

Lots of options for a tank including 60-62 Panel and Suburban donor tank. They are under chassis and can be used on a truck. This and This and This are available also, but are for Chevy so check dimensions and clearance.

I'm starting to feel very weird about my suggestions, but you wanted ideas.

Last edited by AZKen; June 26th, 2017 at 05:52 AM.