View Single Post
Old November 21st, 2014, 03:22 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1960 Torsion Bar Suspension Sway Fix

The front end is back to factory specs. Steers true, etc. It is just a design issue with the torsion bar front ends. The idea was to get passenger car ride into the traditionally hard riding trucks. The plan worked, but the top heavy trucks will sway exponentially more than a lower center of gravity car.
As for the rear load idea, I added a Timbrem Rubber spring setup. But it only kicks in when hauling a load. I have read that there are rear sway bars sold today for these 1960-62 trucks. Question. Would having this added to rear help with the roll that seems to be coming from the front end? Barry, was there yet another rear end device you were suggesting might help?
I know this will never corner like a Corvette. I don't expect it to ever be close. But I need to get it to corner safely so I can enjoy driving. Right now I have to slow way down to go around a corner. I need to get it so if I have to slow down, I want have to almost crawl.
I will try any tweek to improve the cornering, even if the overall ride is stiffened up a bit. It rides like a cloud now, but I will trade some of the cush away if it helps the cornering. Maybe some sort of front air or coil over shocks, 3/4 ton Torsion Bars, rear sway bar, etc., I will try it. Thanks for the help, Greg Mead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMC BOOSTER 034.JPG (2.19 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC BOOSTER 031.JPG (2.13 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC BOOSTER 030.JPG (2.51 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)