Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:37 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzoman View Post
Oh yes holiday traffic is horrible !
Hot tip for you - contact Tom at Tom myers truck wreckers in Miami Oklahoma and he will send you an original 60s bumper . I got mine from him ( not shown in my pic because I still had the OEM white bumper that I sold this week for $75 on the truck ) but now I have an OEM chrome bumper I got from him for 150$ he shipped it to me . So i pulled out the 305E V6 this truck had in it originally because it wouldn't miss an gas station , the 305E is an bigger one that most so you might not wanna do that unless gas isnt an issue .
Funny , in 60-62 , GM painted plaid shirt pattern on the valve covers of the light trucks and nick named it "The Scotsman" engine until they found out the Scots , known for their frugility would not ever endorse such an engine so they pulled that idea away ha ha ha !
In 1987 I put an 292 straight 6 in it and have drove it like that since and yes an big increase in mileage was the first notable thing (w/ that original Muncie 4 spd I left in there ) .
Well that muncie finally died this yr and I researched and found I could probably put in an NP440 4 speed ( with overdrive on 4th ) and the gas mileage was increased like crazy .
I have decided to put in an 350 v8 this month and its going to be perfect for that NP440 MY6 tranny .
All that to say you should get away from the v6 because of the gas .
**** , Chevy put 283s in your truck with the same Muncie tranny with no problems .
Today you could put an modern 350 in there w/ all the trimmings :-)
You couldn't be further from the truth. The 305 v6 gets decent mileage when the proper tuning is done. And putting a taller rear gear in helps a ton as well. These engines like operating at 2000 rpm. People have gotten 16 MPG with these with some tuning and a taller gear.
The 305E is no bigger than the 305A-D. Only difference is that in 1966 they had 10 more horse power. Cam profile changed I think.

Pushing the idea of throwing v6's away isn't the idea of this forum.....as you may have noticed this forum was built ABOUT v6's. So, if you are going to try and tell people to scrap perfectly good engines then I suggest subscribing to a Chevy forum. Just my two cents.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TJ's GMC; February 4th, 2017 at 05:26 AM.