View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:53 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1966 Chevy Auto Column to 1960 GMC Issues

Hello, I am trying to get this truck back to close to factory original, with some running upgrades from GM in the 6066 era. I can not, and do not desire to swap an original Manual tranny into this truck just to get the Correct shifter back in it. When I got the truck, there was no chrome, and the original owner had modified the truck thru the years. I am steadily trying to get it back close to original, over time through exhaustive research . I plan to source NOS and used parts where available. But the truck is not, and will not be exactly stock, just reasonably close.
This truck has over 1,000,000 miles in service to the Harley-Davidson Of Macon Georgia dealership. Duane Allman and Berry Oakley of the Allman Brothers Band have both had there ride in the truck with there bikes in the bed. It was pictured in the 1963 Macon Telephone Book complete with the wild Harley badging Grover had painted on the sides. He ran 1960 Buick wheel covers too. And I still have them hanging on the wall,even though I sourced the original wheels and hubcaps. This truck is rolling history around here. People come up to me all the time grinning and ask "Is that Grovers ole truck". They don't smile and ask
"Is that truck all original with no repairs or parts replaced?".
I appreciate anyone who has knowledge of these trucks and there willingness to swap notes with me. Always glad to share what insight I have gleaned along the way as well. But I find it rather disheartening for folks to blame others for modifications from stock that were beyond there control. Heck, many of my trucks mods were completed before my birth.
I dare say this would be a lot smaller group if you could only have room for perfect survivor vehicles ,with no replacement parts, NORS, or for that matter, NOS parts. After all, NOS was not original to that vehicle, so those guys are out of luck also. And who among us has not had a repaint. Did they use 777 Enamel from the original supplier. Even if they did, there truck is now not visible because it is coated with imposter paint. New tires anyone?
Finally, I want to end on a positive note. Thanks to all the members who have helped, and hopefully will continue to help me. You guys are really helping me get the truck ever closer to where I want it.
I appreciate you, Greg Mead