View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:20 AM

Truck: 1963 1-ton Panel 305E SM420
63_Rouss_Fire_Co_GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: History, Teardown, and Rebuild 63 1-ton panel

Next set of photos were taken as I began to tear the truck down. I had drove the truck to work, when I got to work I closed the door and the window dropped off its requlator and down into the bottom of the door. When I got off work I discovered it was raining, so I had a wet seat. Turns out I had no taillights or lights on my guages inside the truck. All I had was the headlights, I assume a safety feature of the truck. Well just before I got home the only one winshield wiper I had on the truck, decided to fly off while in the rain storm, at night with the window down and only headlights. Had to stop the wiper arm to avoid scratching the windshield. So when I got home I decided to park the truck and restore it myself, or do what I could then send to a body shop. The first photo is the next day before I took it apart. Then I removed the doors, carpet, trans cover hump. Removed the front clip as a single unit with the radiator and motor left alone so I could still start and move the truck as I needed. Removed the windshield and it ended up cracking is several spots, the rubbers were so hard I would come out as the maintence manual suggested. Notice the hose running thru the cab, that's my gas line for the fuel tank simply sitting on the floor behind the seat. I then got out the grinder and cut off and removed what b ody bolts hadn't rusted away already. It turned my grinder to the bolts that held the bed strips down and discovered that the truck did not have a wood plank floor but a wood plywood floor made up of two extremely long pieces. Got the wood floor out and only 1 of 4 cross sills were still good. Washed the dirt off the frame and begun to scrape at rust with a wire brush and wire brush attachment on my drill.

More to come don't wana overload anyone inbox, Jeremy Cooper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00239-20120414-1320.jpg (99.5 KB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)
File Type: jpg 02-GMC%2020120727-00056.jpg (81.4 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg 03-GMC-Half%20bed%20out-20120801-00081.jpg (72.4 KB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg 04-IMG-20120801-00082.jpg (91.6 KB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)