View Single Post
Old December 24th, 2015, 02:07 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SO who came up with the GMC V6's???

Greetings TJ!

As to who at GM came up with the design of the big block V-6, well, that's information that I don't have, although I also would like to know who that person was. As to the comparison between the 292 I-6 and the various versions of the GMC Big Block V-6's, I'll take the Big Block V-6's any day of the week before I would take the 292 I-6. As many here know, I once owned a 1963 Chevy 30 Series (1 ton) pickup originally equipped with the 292 I-6 which I eventually replaced with a GMC 305 V-6. Now, there will be those here who will disagree with me, but my feeling is that the 292 I-6 was nothing more than a glorified car engine put in a truck, and not necessarily designed to be a truck engine, although GM engineers would differ with me on that point. I know, because my Dad and I had plenty of problems with the 292. When I replaced the 292 with the GMC 305 V-6, those problems all disappeared. Now, having said that, yes, the 292 would be faster on acceleration and rev higher than a BB V-6, but as you indicated, the GMC V-6 will outlug the 292 six ways from Sunday, and all in all is a much more durable engine than the 292 ever was or will ever be. I know you have several 292's in your collection, and that you are very pleased with them. My experience has been the 292 is an engine (along with a few other GM engines) that I do not strongly favor.

On a lighter note, Merry Christmas to all here in the 6066 GMC Truck Club!