View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2024, 12:17 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Looking for information

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgreg View Post
This is my first post, great site.

Looking for some information.

In the next couple of days, I’m going to be looking at two trucks, both have flatbeds, duallys, and 4 speeds. One is a 66 which the owner can not take pictures of because he is 90 and the other is a 68 which I have seen pictures of but it needs an up close and personal inspection.

Both of them are in the $2500 range and both of them are 1 ton which will haul what I need to haul - water and waste totes.

1 -any thoughts about these two years of truck? I know the 67-72s have a big following, parts are all over the place it seems but the 66 I am unsure of.

2 - what else should I look for that is unique for a v6 truck?

3 - what transmissions and/or bellhousing works with the V6 engine?

4 - is the clutch hydraulic on these heavier trucks?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the site, VWGreg! You should be able to get answers to all your questions here. Subject to corrections by others, I'll take a crack at answering your questions.

1. Without seeing either truck, and assuming they are both indeed in the same condition, my own preference would be the '68 truck. Much more rare with a V6, and a more popular body style.

2. Confirm the engine size by looking at the flat spot on top of the block right in front of the passenger side cylinder head.

3. The only bellhousing that works is the one it came from the factory with. Most GM manual transmissions from that era will bolt up to it. However, an automatic trans will require a different and rare flywheel and adapter.

4. Clutches should have mechanical linkages, not hydraulic.

Good luck, and share lots of photos with us!
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435