View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:48 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Well, with the grill off, I got to do a lot of sanding to smooth out that bondo work. Never knew hand sanding could be so tiring.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Evidently the repair work that was done on it last was done while it was mounted to the truck. The roughest areas of the bondo work that was done was on the lower side of the grill were you can't see it to good when it is mounted. Plus all the white overspray that is on the truck in the pictures above in a previous post were a pretty good clue.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

After pulling the grill, like the headlight bezels, there was a lot of rust on the back side. Most of it seemed to be barely more than surface rust, but since these grills seem hard to find, I went ahead and POR'd the backside. Sorry Fetch, no "before's". That was done after doing some additional metal straightening. In this pick the braces that hold the headlights had been manipulated back in position. When I removed the grill from the truck, they were still bent down into the grill. Not something you can really fix without removing it from the truck.

You can see evidence in the same pick, in the lower right corner of where holes were drilled, I assume to pull it straight, and bondo applied.

Here are the headlight buckets, all cleaned and painted with new adjusters.

Not sure how much I trust those nuts to not come loose.

Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there!