View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2014, 08:54 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Correct GMC vs. Chevy Truck Wheels, 1960-66

I am glad to hear that there is a date code for these old wheels. I will certainly start inspecting and annotating these wheels going forward. The 1958 GMC wheel pic has a non-optional ring added. The wheel itself is ,to my eye, certainly a Squisher type. I must ask, the owner put rings on a Squisher type wheel. Must that wheel have the four Nubbins to hold his rings on? I ask because, I do not know if those are even close to the shape of the Chevy rings for that year. They could be the later Spring metal rimmed type rings, that will fit on a wheel without the four nubbins. Has anyone ever put a known Chevy ring on a non-nubbins type wheel just to see if the nubbins are really needed? The nubbins are positive on the outer side of wheel, and leave a negative space on the inner side. That tells me that the nubbins were pressed under very high pressure. Other wheels from the same era, assuming the same KH Manufacturer, lack the nubbins. This leads me to believe that they were added for the purpose of holding a ring or a full wheel cover. These are 15 inch wheels. I seem to remember cars from back then having 6 lug,15 inch wheel too. If so, it seems likely that they added the nubbins so one wheel make would cover a lot more bases. Full covers, no sweat. Dog dish trucks and plain cars, who would care if the nubbins were there or not? Just a thought. As for the correct 1960 wheels, I have been wearing blinder in my hunt for 1960 specific information. Does anyone have any ads or other literature/pictures that show the Squisher wheels, in art or pictures? I have to start looking for that stuff myself. I only have the one truck, a 1960. So by default that is the primary angle of all my research to date. I will have to broaden my scope a little. I have combed the net for years and have only recently found the one picture of a factory fresh load of GMC trucks. It has the Potter Wheel that my truck features. I can see no nubbins on it. It is no smoking gun. There is a chance that these wheels were there ahead of the ordered wheels. They may have used what they had on hand to get these early production models out for an early phot shoot. There are at least two images from this set of truckload pictures. I assume there are others out there, but I have not seen them to date. I know that at least the one truck had the Potters when it went outside on day one. I am reasonably confident that at least some others did as well. I just wish I could see some art or pics with the Squishers. I would feel even better that they were made for these trucks to be the quote factory wheels, unquote. Perhaps I will try to contact Kelsey-Hayes, if they are still around. Thanks, Greg Mead