View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2017, 05:56 AM

Truck: 1963
gmcdan1963 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: '65 Dash Cluster Wiring Terminals

I'm not asking for anyone to do the work for me, I'm asking if anyone has been down this road and has already found a suitable replacement or an original part number already. (hence my original post when I asked if anyone knows off the top of their head). I know how to measure the male post on the gauge and the inside diameter of the gray connector to figure out what terminals might work.

My issue was after working long days at work, I could only think of the term "terminals" and was finding the generic basic; male, female, bullet and butt connectors. When I added Delphi Packard to my searches it gave me some options with the crimp style I wanted, but not round.

The links James listed gave me other terminal that I didn't see in my google search.
The truth is, I could have made the dozen of these already from something close that is in the link James listed, in less time than it took to write what I wanted to do with them.
At this point I'll order some of the different sizes from the link, and see what I like best. Maybe I will find something that works without modifying but it's not a big deal if they need to be.

I had seen some wires that are greenish from oxidation on other parts of junk harness and it wouldn't surprise me if these are doing the same and I don't want to solder to the existing wires.
I have opened the crimped terminals and reused when I was broke, but that's not what I want to do here. It tends to stress the terminals and about half of the crimped "wings" (for a lack of a better term) tend to break off.

I don't like the smash type terminals and I don't think they will fit in the gray connector anyways.

Just so you know what the gray connector looks like I've attached another picture.

It has an open slot down the side for the wires to slide in and out, and the terminal moves freely inside the connector. There are no retaining tabs on the terminals like the male and female Delphi connectors GM used. That is what I mean by "not retained". The simple fact that the terminal is wider at the end keeps them in the gray connector ("retained" if it makes you feel better), so any type of terminal that fits inside the gray connector and over the male posts will work without concern for retaining.

I appreciate the help, but I don't want to waste your (or my) time.

I'm new here and people recommend details in posts, but next time I might try an approach like; Does anyone know a part number for these gauge cluster terminals? With an attached picture. The post was derailed on a tangent with the details.

Thanks,
Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170506_20_49_43_Pro.jpg (1.10 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)