View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:14 AM

Truck: 1965 930 & 1965 K20 & 65 C10 combining into one truck.
quest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help for a new guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Hello, new member and aspirational 1966 GMC owner. Realization of dream I've has since I was a kid. Anyway, I'm looking at a 1966 GMC "custom" edition with a non-original inline 6 for $1500. The tags expired in 2001 and it's been sitting for the last 2-4 yrs. When I started it, it ran really rough and stalled when I pushed the choke in. Smelled horrible. I was able to drive it around the neighborhood, but had to leave the choke on. I came back a couple days later to drive it again; it started easier and ran a little better. However, I couldn't get it over 35 MPH on the road without it lurching and stalling multiple times. I would've bought it that night if I thought it had to be the potential to be a daily driver.
So my question is....I'd take it if the problem was simply old gas or something simple. I don't have the time, money, or expertise to deal with a complex problem. Are there some tests I can to do determine if it's a simple problem or a truck I should walk away from? Much appreciated!
My first question isn't about how it runs cause that's just a bonus. Nothing on these trucks is to complicated or expensive to repair if you have basic skills and a forum like this to help out on things you don't already know.
My first question is what shape is the body in? If that's good, complete with tailgate, then that alone is worth over $1500, as body work and rust repairs wiould cost a lot more than that.
Everyone here is right, you give her a fresh gas load (maybe a tune-up & carb job) and away she'll go! GOOD LUCK!