View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2018, 11:45 AM

Truck: 1968 HM80 with a 478M and a few engines plus a Toro-Flow
turbobill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Allison 6 Speed GMC 401

Perhaps components (front and rear axles) along with springs etc. could be used from a more modern transit style pusher school bus. Most modern school buses (last 30 years or so) are diesel powered and thus the axle ratio's are more friendly towards lower speed engines. They often turn up cheap and are generally well cared for. Grabbing one just out of school bus service may be a very economical way to score some good usable later model parts.

As for the engine, the modern diesels (Duramax included) are complicated and very expensive to repair. The emission controls, electronics and electronic components can be an expensive nightmare.

Power wise, the turbocharger saved the modern diesel from extinction. A naturally aspirated diesel produces less HP and torque than a same displacement gasoline engine. My point here is that the turbocharger works wonders on a gasoline engine just as it did on the diesels. Mild boost (6 lbs or less)on the 401 would yield wonders in the power and feel of your bus without over stressing the engine. The 401 could be turbocharged with quality components for less than the cost of a set on injectors for the modern electronic diesels lol. With a lower numeric axle ratio modern axle, some boost might be necessary and still be less stressful than a diesel on the bus.

If you are worried about the age and mileage on the 401, over the years I have sourced rebuild parts for my GMC V6's pretty cheaply. I always felt that an already good running engine could always be freshened (rings/bearings/gaskets/seals) without going to the elaborate expense of boring/turning the crank, and having to find rare and expensive replacement oversize parts. I've had good success with just freshening suitable older engines over the years if that's all they needed.

Do you do all of the work on the bus or hire it out?