View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2017, 08:00 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: trouble shooting turn signal switch

Texas,

Lots of rain and mud is keeping me close to the computer today. Ken is right about the fuse (don't know why I didn't think of this, but it helps explain why I struggle with electric problems), so the fuse is a starting point. I am still not convinced that a typical bad grounding connection would cause a circuit to over heat, since this should limit (reduce) current (however, I don't know how the flasher works, so it is possible that grounding or lack of grounding there could be a problem, but wouldn't this affect both right and left turn signals). I have needed to fix bad ground connections at turn signal and brake lights that kept them from working but did not seem to cause any heat to be produced (and kept the turn signal light on and flasher off). If the fuse is right, then I suppose that bad connections ahead of the lights might cause resistance that leads to heating; but in this case, whatever is hot and smoking should be where the problem is. If the fuse is too big (or is running several circuits), then either bad connections and/or a short could be the problem. Finally, since both brake lights and the left turn signals work, is it possible that you have a current leak (partial short?) to ground in the front, right turn signal wire or at the front, right bulb or light socket? In the mean-time, you could try hand signals for right turns - but I doubt that any but older drivers would understand.

JRMunn