View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2024, 04:03 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1960 GMC Long fleet 4x4
TRybas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crate Motor swap Info Help - 1960 GMC K1000

Thanks all for the feedback and concerns. Does anyone have experience specifically with a 4x4 swap? Id like to keep the 4x4 capability but imagine it’s a different can of warms from 2wd. Namely the short distance to the divorced transfer case.

The main reason for wanting to swap aligns, in principle, with everyone’s concerns. I like to drive her but want to preserve the original motor. I am a stickler for restoring/ preserving her to factory hence the “bolt in” requirement (shout out to AZKen for sourcing a bunch of those parts over the years).

Second, is all the reasons people on here hate to hear; I like to drive her so ease of use, comfort, little extra speed, and drivability. I could be wrong but I suspect aftermarket add-ons like A.C. and power steering will be easier to source/ install without concern of altering the original motor.

Third, I’ve got a slight coolant leak, I’m hoping its just a head gasket that didn’t seat right but I suspect the machine shop messed up and didn’t surface the heads, block, or both. I’m doing my homework now incase that is the issue. If its easy enough (bolt in turn key) and can be done for $4-6k over a 4-6 days I’d rather do it than wait the 4-6 months to get the original back.