View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2015, 03:27 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bridges of Madison County

Hey Clark, I have been fascinated with Eastwoods GMC trucks for years. Here is my theory behind the wacky BOMC trucks. I think they are Canadian GMC trucks. Here is a factory picture of Canadian GMC pickups from 1961. You can clearly see the double hump dash. I have always heard that Canadian GMC trucks from this era were re-badged Chevy trucks. Canada did not make V-6 trucks. If they ordered one, they got a GMC made in USA sent to the Canadian dealer. Otherwise, you had a Canadian made GMC, which is a Chevy truck, with GMC badging(hood, tailgate, horn button, cowl badges). The movie sound could be anything, but when he pulls away from the red light, my ear hears an Inline 6 cylinder sound. I know that sound well as I drove one for years. It is a smoother, more passive note than the V-6 or V-8 motor. Also, I notice the BOMC truck does not have backup lights. And I once saw a golf program on CBS that showed his GMC in front of an Inn that he owns in Carmel. They mentioned that he actually drives the truck and that it is the one from BOMC. For the movie folks to convert a Chevy, they would have had to change the horn button, tailgate, hood and grill. Not a major undertaking, but still time consuming. But all of this has already been done if you start with a 1961 Canadian GMC. To "Americanize" it, you simply pull the Canadian GMC cowl badge(which US GMC did not ever use, but US and Canada Chevy did)and fill two holes, and repaint. A much easier conversion and therefore a much more likely scenario. But it is just a theory. I would like to ask Eastwood about his GMC trucks. If I ever meet him, I will, haha. GM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMCCanada1961.jpg (304.5 KB, Multiple views, 16 clicks)