View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2013, 04:48 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I had big plans for today but they got sidetracked by household upkeep and winterization. Bleh.

When the dust settled I was putting shovels and drills away when I glanced sideways. There sat my 4wd shifter and the middle hump on the rear of Cecilia's frame. It called to me softly. "Pepsi........."

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

"Pepsiiiiiiii...... Come work on me. Just for a minute. It won't be too hard this time, I promise..."

I grinned a dopey grin and ambled over to the hump. The shifter boot is awful looking. It's a square boot that the PO (Previous Owner) screwed down in the circular hole. It's like gravy covered ice cream. not pretty.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The handle is worn smooth from many years of shifting. I couldn't get it to twist off so I grabbed a pipe turner thingy, one of those with a rubber grip that runs through a handle, and gave it a twist to break it loose. Then my little helper got to spinning.

Remember I didn't have any time? So I left the grip with the boy. He called it a giant mushroom and spent the next 10 minutes shoving plastic fishing worms in the mounting hole. (How does he think of this stuff?) I removed the ring holding the boot on. Since it was all bent and banged up I laid it on a flat part on the frame and whacked on it with a rubber hammer until it was straight again.

Then I put it in a vice and wire wheeled it until it was all shiny and new looking. After that it got a blast of ospho. Tomorrow or Monday I'll blast it with bedliner material and it'll be ready for re-installation. I need to find a new 6" circular boot for it though. The square one is going in the trash. That's all the time I had. I felt better after getting to fiddle with her a little.

OH! And speaking of parts, the parts fairy came again and brought my rear end pinion seal (Rock auto), my transmission rebuild kit (Ebay

), my oil pan gasket (Rock Auto), and a quart jar of Herculiner (Amazon) for the bottom of the transmission hump. Woot!

Guess who's learning how to rebuild a tranny this week?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; September 22nd, 2013 at 04:57 AM.