Thread: New in town
View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2015, 12:54 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New in town

Greetings to all!

I may have been mistaken about that Federal Law on split rims, however, I do know that there was a big stink made over the safety of split rims on semi trucks, and that there is a reason why those rims are no longer used on semis aside from the cost factor of liners, inner tubes, and so on. It was a long time ago that CBS reported on its 60 Minutes news program the dangers of these rims coming apart on our highways, and that may be why I got the mistaken notion that all split rims were outlawed. I have worked on spilt rim tires myself, and they certainly are not on my favorite things to do list since they are as deadly as a loaded gun if not treated with respect and inflated in a safety cage. Even at that, some of those rims have been known to fail inspite of having been inflated in a safety cage with all safety precautions observed, resulting in serious personal injury and/or fatalities. Keeping and using those rims is certainly a matter of personal choice. I myself cringed every time I had to put one of those things back on the truck after changing a tire, even though I had taken every safety precaution in the book when assembling and inflating those tires and rims.