View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:50 PM

Truck: 1963 1500 Custom
adamfgarner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: #6 not firing with eBay HEI, any ideas?

I am the brother-in-law in the post above; I will admit that I am no master mechanic but do have some experience and aptitude. First, I do respect BarryGMC's opinion's and feel his experience is valuable. However, in my own experience having to constantly source and adjust points to get the engine to run right doesn't interest me at all...I do have them in a box with the original distributor and the Stromberg in case we get EMP'ed though Pepsi. With the switch to the Holley and the HEI, once I set my timing (screw the listed settings - it ran poorly until Irishbleueys converted me to "seat-of-the-pants" timing adjustments) this truck starts quicker than my EFI vehicles, and runs MUCH better that the points (which were newish and well-adjusted)...the wider gap you can run (got mine at .060) insures better burn and virtually no warm-up time...I vote for the HEI as the members above and for the same reasons...unless you're a purist (truly even these guys are posers as very little is "original" any more) points make little sense to me as I don't like to fiddle-fart around unnecessarily to get my beast to growl. ...on a side note I had to twice remove my HEI to drill consecutively larger weep holes in my billet shaft because of a problem getting to much oil through the top bushes...