View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2015, 03:14 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Calling All Two-Tones

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccollector View Post
I was able to confirm 2 out of three 60-61s , one I cant get inside , two have the "C" for Oakland plant. I've researched these a little and it seems Fremont and Oakland had white rear inner fenders. It might explain the white on the top of the gate on these two also. It seems as if Midwest trucks received the black inner fenders. If you look in the 1960 GMC Data book which I'm assuming is more of a Detroit area book , it shows in one of the pages a 1960 without the white paint on the top of the gate. It also states in the painting regulations that the rear inner fenders are to be black. Were there two different Data books or different painting regulation guides ? I'm not one of the theorists that believes in random , I think I will just do it this way today , unless there was a specific reason. Like the recent 1962 GMC 1700 mile truck , it came with a special order color , that I know existed . As for tailgate lettering , has anyone found a factory white lettered gate ? I have several other GMCs and takeoff tailgates , so far all are argent silver paint. Also in the Data book is a small paragraph on "special paint" to fill out a GMC paint chart and submit that with the truck order. The Blue engine comment , I've heard that, but never seen it. Wheels for 1960, I've only seen two styles for 6 lug , all with clips but different center hubs. Interesting stuff for sure and lots to learn !!
Sure appreciate you sharing the pictures of your white-topped tailgate. That is very interesting. Chevrolet reversed the paint scheme where the body color was up top and white was the lower body color in 58-60, and in 1961 they went to a solid color tailgate. the top of the 58-60 tailgates were upper body color so it is interesting to see a GMC gate like this when so many did not have this white band across the tailgate - the two-tone 1960 GMC in the GM Photo Store is a more typical example with solid gate, so I have wondered if GMC did the same as Chevy and axed the two-tone tailgate after 1960.

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)