Thread: Tailgate Color?
View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2015, 11:45 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tailgate Color?

Great picture BigBlock. Thanks for sharing it. You have a great early era color picture of a Fenderside Tailgate that is certainly factory Argent Silver. Great evidence to support the fact that this color was indeed used on at least some trucks. However, this great picture alone does not prove that Argent Silver was the ONLY color prescribed or used on the letters. It only proves that it was on this truck. I believe it was prescribed and indeed used on almost all the trucks from this era. I believe you gave me the factory paint code for this color when I did my tailgate. Do you know of any sources that specifically prescribe this color for certain year models? I have read the 1960 GMC Paint Regulations over and over. I can not find where the factory prescribed ANY paint for the lettering and surround, in writing. The picture on the regs of the Fenderside truck, shows no Argent Silver or White. The tailgate is a solid color. In fact, The 1960 GMC Master Parts Book lists every color used for all models, and there is no Argent Silver listed. I checked my Owners Guides, paint charts, etc., looking for Argent Silver ,and did not find it. Can you or someone else please show me, in writing, where in 1960 GMC ordered the tailgate letters painted? The dealer approved Accessories Catalog lists all colors, even engine colors, but no Argent Silver is listed. I went with Argent Silver because in the vast majority of trucks of this era that I have seen, it was on them. Subjectively, it just looks right on there. Also, it is just more reflective than any other color, for safety sake. But I am yet to be shown any reference material from GMC in 1960 that says it is the prescribed color or the only color for the tailgate letters and surround. Perhaps such information exists, but I have not seen it. I have the 1965 GMC Paint Regs. They clearly call for "Aluminum" as the color for the letters, but no mention of the surround. The picture on the 1965 Paint Regs shows the Two-Tone Custom Packaged Wideside, with the Letters and the surround in this "Aluminum" color. I think the "Argent Silver" name is what "Aluminum" came to be know as, but it was called "Aluminum" in 1965, and probably as early as they started painting the letters and surround. Does anyone have the paint regulations for 1961,62,63 and 64? They will probably help shed a clarifying light on this fascinating discussion. Factory correct or not, I could not see the back of my truck at night until I added the Argent Silver. Most important paint on the whole truck. GM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMC 001.jpg (163.3 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC 002.jpg (161.0 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC 003.jpg (444.4 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC 004.jpg (747.7 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC 005.jpg (668.0 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)