View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Truck: 1962 Gmc Truck
Thomasbuilt is on a distinguished road
Default New member with fuel delivery problem

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I have included a picture of my truck. This is the only picture I had in new phone. Going to give you guys some extra info to help save some posts and time on figuring out my issue here.

Rebuild kit on carb
New Mechanical Fuel Pump-2,000 miles ago
New Tank and Pick up Tube
New Can Filter under truck
New In-line filter before carb

My grandpa passed away, and I luckly recieved this truck in its current condition. My grandpa had 3 GMC show trucks, 1953,1962 and 1971. I received the 1962. It had white walls, and very grandpa looking; but still a awesome truck. I put new chrome here and there inside and out, and some wheels I know my grandpa would not apporve of. But I still have the white walls to put on it from time to time. Thats my truck story and I'm truly bless to have a truck this nice at 36 years old.

When I got the truck; it had sat for 10 months due to his health. The carb had leaks from the gaskets and the fuel delivery was weak I assume because I was having trouble getting fuel to carb. I put a carb kit on, and a new fuel pump with life time warranty. I drove the truck around 1,500 miles with no issues for last 2 years but the last 3 month I have had fuel issues again. I know it was fuel issues because of the way it was running and cutting out. I know my way around engines a little, and alot about carbs and electrical systems. I dirt track raced for 7 years, and built my own chassis and machine parts. So I'm a little handy around the shop. But I started buying easy fix things that could cause a issue with fuel delivery as listed above. Still having issues. This is whats left to do: Get another mechanical fuel pump?, cam lobe could be worn and not enough stroke on fuel pump for proper suction? Or my ideal was to get a low pressure electric fuel pump (maybe 3lbs) right after the can filter under the truck where I could suck fuel coming down at it lowest point and pushing it to the carb and blocking off the mechanical fuel pump on engine? I thought maybe the stock fuel pump being so far way and maybe a wore cam lobe would cause it not to suck fuel properly and get air locked. Is this a good ideal? Any info would be great. Thank you for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131028_081101.jpg (1.98 MB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)