View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2014, 10:07 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stock 305D Dyno Results

Thanks for the feedback turbobill.

I'll follow up on the items you mentioned... I too am curious why the curve dropped where it did.

Speaking of tune up, I rembember (after driving the truck for several years) I adjusted the timing and points per the specs in the manual, because I don't know enough to deviate (as you mention). I remember being surprised how far the timing/dwell was off (advanced?, had higher number but don't remember what it was). In fact, I stopped with the tune up process after the adjustments and took it for a test drive to ensure I didn't screw something up. The truck seem to run the same, except I noticed less power on the highway, almost like I was hauling a load. After returning home, I double checked my timing and points adjustment and they matched what I had set per the manual. Again, not knowing enough to deviate from the manual and not wanting to cause possible engine damage, I left the settings per the manual.

I set the dwell angle at 31 and the timing at 7.5 (V6-305D). What do you recommend setting these at, and what is the associated long-term risk (if any) of advancing the spark?

Thanks again,

Clarke