View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2015, 07:53 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Calling All Two-Tones

Thanks Jon, I have a theory that there were different standards and practices during any given production year, from plant to plant. I believe some plants did slightly vary on paint breaks and even colors. There are plenty of original wheels on trucks that are different from more commonly seen wheels. I believe these different wheels were sent to southern plants, as I have yet to see them on known western/Pontiac built examples. Does not mean there were none, I simply have not ran across any to date. The White paint going across the top of your tailgate I have seen a time or two. The GMC paint regulations for 1960 do not call for it, and the pictures in the paint regs do not show it. But they exist. I have seen yours and a couple of others. I think whomever was spraying these trucks any given day, might have taken certain artistic liberties with the paint breaks. I do not know a lot about trucks, but I know vintage guitars like there's no tomorrow. Been playing/repairing/studying vintage instruments since I was fresh out of diapers. I can tell you that the biggest maker of guitars in 1959 was Gibson. Gibson guitars were given standardized paint jobs. But there are a couple hundred known originals that received variations, even though they were standard production models. It is documented that this happened on several batches of instruments. The powers that be were PO'd to no end, but the rare Darkburst 1959 Les Pauls are treasured today for there variants, beauty and rarity. Point being, I believe all big outfits painting stuff in the 1950' and 1960's would be expected to deviate to some degree, if only occasionally. I have heard of factory painted BLUE GMC engines. I have seen White letters on tailgates that were "supposed "to be Aluminum. I bet the western sprayer guy thought the white should go across to tie the back of the bed together. It looks logical looking at your picture. GM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960_gmc_paint_regs__renamed_24619.jpg (83.2 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)