View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2016, 01:56 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The saga continues - Sputtering, loss of power when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmclendon View Post
So, apparently the plugs had fouled and the points needed adjusting. While there is a bit of sediment in the fuel, I'm told the tank is actually pretty clean.

Am I being unfair in thinking that if it was tuned less than 2 months ago and it hasn't been pushed real hard at all since then that I shouldn't be getting plugs which are fouling prematurely? I like the guy that's done most of the work. But, my gut is starting to tell me that maybe I'm getting taken for a ride. This last trip to the shop resulted in 11 hours of labour for the following:

Oil change (it was only changed 6 weeks ago. But, it had gotten dark pretty quickly)
Valve clearance adjustment
disassembly of distributor, clean and adjust points, lubricate advance weights
replace fuel sending unit
rework delivery pipe (the sending unit didn't quite align)
install a headlamp relay

I'm happy to pay what a job is worth, so if y'all think 11 hours is fair enough then I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned (IE, stop putting off buying the tools and shop manuals).

This dude is telling me that if it was him he would look at doing an engine rebuild in the next 6-12 months, as the engine is getting a bit noisy..... Again, it's all just starting to sound a bit over the top to me.

Anyway, the good news is I should be on the road again tomorrow.
11 hours? Really? This guy work on tonkas for a living or what? lol Rebuild the engine cause it's noisy huh....hmm...I guess he's never head of solid lifter cams. He did set the adjustment to .012 intake and .018 exhaust right?

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.