View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:44 PM

Truck: 1965 930 & 1965 K20 & 65 C10 combining into one truck.
quest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blown head gasket vs. cracked block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Rock Driller, thanks for your help! My mechanical skills aren't the best so, bear with me here. I did run a block test and it was negative. The bumper next to the tail pipe is black, so it seems to be burning lots of oil. Given that the engine is really messy and leaking oil all over the place, I was thinking about buying a gasket set and replacing the head gasket. Would that be a potential fix or should I run other tests first? Much appreciated!
Based on your earlier description of all the white smoke, leaks, no oil, no coolant(did you see any blue smoke in there or oil burning?) I wouldn't replace the head gasket without getting the head examined at the machine shop. see if your valves and valve guides are still serviceable and get the head magnafluxed for cracks first. It's not worth wasting a gasket set to seal up engine leaks if it needs a rebuild or replacement anyway, if it's worn out... it's worn out! It does kinda sound like it is at the of it's service life.

Sometimes you can get away with a budget rebuild such as saving your crank, cam, lifters, pistons, valve train, even the oil pump and water pump. If these parts are not excessively worn. you could possibly getaway with tank cleaning everything and put it back together with rings, bearings, gaskets and maybe valve guides. If you have not done this before and you like mechanical work just do a little research, ask for a little help here and you will do fine, it's easier than you might think. It will be fun to do!Hope it goes well.