View Single Post
Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:12 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
I don't know why anyone thinks they need to do any of this above modification when GMC offered power steering and power drum brakes that work awesome to begin with. Both of my trucks have factory power brakes and factory power steering and there is nothing about modern power steering that I can think of that works better than these original 60's slave cylinder power assist units. With a rebuilt control valve and rebuilt slave cyl they don't leak and I can steer my 66 Suburban with my pinky finger its so responsive.
I do understand the value of discs over drums but you have to sacrifice your stock wheels and stock hubcaps when you do that, so the tiny gain in stopping power is simply not worth wrecking the original appearance of a totally stock truck over. Just my two cents - I never see posts where anyone is suggesting use of the factory available power parts but they are well worth considering if you ask me
Original power steering components are harder to find, or so it seems. Finding a bracket for the V6 has proven difficult for several members in the past, if memory serves me.

Having driven vehicles with and without power brakes... I can't honestly say there is much difference. The pedal on power brakes seems to activate easier, but stopping has been about the same. Anti-lock is always questionable, several of the vans my wives have had were rear-antilock, which never made sense because the front (steering) could lock up then and you'd lose control. Also when the anti-lock feature failed, there was no difference in driving (except the annoying light on the dash). A lumber company I worked for had anti-lock on the 1/2ton Chev pickup we used for small deliveries and "running around", you had to learn to apply brakes sooner than normal because they felt like mush (shop said they worked perfectly) and it took longer to stop. I *assume* that was the anti-lock since if you had to try to stop quick you could feel the pulsing in the pedal, and if you stopped in time it was a miracle.
Drum brakes are just as good as disc, both stop the vehicle. Manual stops you just as fast as power, it just takes a little more pressure on the pedal.
Anti-lock and power systems are also just one more component that can fail, brakes are real simple and don't really need to be made more complicated.
But that is my opinion, based on driving a wide array of vehicles over the last several years.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500