View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2013, 02:58 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Possible to bore 351E to use 401 Pistons?

The cam grind specs I sent you are basically a mild performance cam but if you are concerned about the valves hitting the pistons then you should take some precautionary steps before having the custom pistons made up. Take one of the original stock pistons and fill in the dished in are with plastic autobody filler(Bondo) and set it up in the bore hooked up to the crank & rod, cylinder head on, cam & timing chain with sprockets, pushrods all hooked up. Rotate the assembly to see if it hits. Also something like "Silly Putty" or similar placed on top of the piston where the valve may hit would be a good idea as well. From that point on you may be able to determine how much relief may need to be machined into the piston where the valves may come in contact, if you ever notice some pistons have indentations for valve clearance. If you think this idea is far fetched I will tell you it's not at all. Years back I installed a Clifford cam in my 4.0 liter Jeep and the idea of the "Silly Putty" was recommended by Clifford, that was the procedure I followed.