View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2016, 09:20 PM

Truck: 1962 GMC 1000 panel truck
Chuck78 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OD trans, engine configurations, highway fuel mileage goals

Certainly a 3.73 rear gear would make it substantially more fun to drive and give it more power towing, but respectable fuel economy on these monstrous gas guzzlers is something I would really like to achieve. If I could get 21mpg highway with a .79 od 5th and a 3.54 rear gear, that would be AWESOME, but I think I may need to need to shoot for the 3.31 in order to achieve my road trip highway fuel mileage goal. I suppose I could inflate the rear tires to the max on long highway drives in order to slightly up the tire diameter!

I will have to consider the added fuel consumption swapping to a 351C over the old 305D when considering gearing, fun/power, & fuel economy.

It appears to be a toss-up between the 3.31 and the 3.54. I feel that with the 3.31/351C/ax15, I can get the same fuel mileage that I currently have with a smaller engine and standard transmission. The 3.54 will certainly be more fun. The ax15 lower gears will make it more fun on top of that compared to my current setup, and I really had no complaints before about the acceleration power without a load.

Last edited by Chuck78; June 4th, 2016 at 10:25 PM.