Thread: 3 on the tree
View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:35 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC Pickup 305e V6
melmashman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 on the tree

Ray and Others,
I received the note below from Steve who I have complete confidence, but wanted to get a 2nd opinion. The NV4500 solution just is not going to work due to adapter issues.
Steve is recommending an SM365 4 speed with a change to the rear end to provide lower RPM's at highway speeds for about $3k. The splitter option he mentioned is too expensive. Based on your expertise would you recommend this SM365 approach? Hey - thanks for your help!!
Thansk - here is Steve's message:
Mel,
The easiest and most cost effective solution is to just put in a new clutch and reinstall the 3 speed but its not going to help with the highway driving, I think a good option is to put in the SM465 and change the rear end gear to something more suited for highway speeds. The overdrive unit I was looking at is the best option but also the most expensive (around $3300 just for the unit plus the SM465), its a completely different unit from a regular overdrive built into a transmission its an add on that would go on the back of the SM465 and it allows you to "split" each gear if you wanted in other words you have a overdrive in each gear except 1st so technically you would have a 7 speed transmission this is all controlled by a button on the shifter you have the option of turning it on or off in each gear. I'm not sure you really need something like this or want to spend that type of money. I'm guessing we can put together the SM465/gear change and all necessary components for around $25-$2800??. We have a 1968 GMC (shop truck project) with a 305 V6 and the SM465 trans/ bell housing as long as the transmission doesn't need major hard parts like an input shaft or gear set we can rebuild it and put it in your truck if the trans is not re-buildable we would need to buy one from Novak or another source this would bump the cost up depending on the price of the trans. I'm waiting for our transmission builder to come back from vacation to discuss this option. Let me know if you think this is something your interested in.
Thanks